Thursday, September 29, 2016

Motivation and Values Can Match Your Way Forward Through Emotional Agility

The book Emotional Agility by Susan David is an awesome read for parents. She cuts through our frenetic world and really gets into the inborn jungle inside of us where it is really easy to get lost in our powerful emotions.  She takes the whole idea of 'getting out of your own way' to a new level of understanding. 

Her ideas hit home as she points out that a person with emotional agility can be in the moment and behave in ways that match what they want and what they believe in.  When I think about the countless times in my life I have reacted to events in my life because of my emotions, I settle to think how things might have gone differently if I had acted out of a sense of my core values and desires.

Her work motivates me to continue to make new discoveries about my series of 'Emotatude' books where the main character Dr. Kich a famous ‘Emotatude’ doctor helps children understand their emotions. This character explores feelings as concrete beings that lie deep inside all of us. He has provided an invaluable service to children and adults everywhere who struggle with ways to explain just how they feel and what they are feeling.

When I think about Crandle the latest character in book 5 who experienced conniption fits, I hope that the window into his fictional world will help real children act out of a sense of their core values and desires as Crandle has.  I invite any readers with ideas for new Emotatudes to contact me at Karenwporter.com to let me know how we can explore new worlds where emotions are there for us in their native raw state, not needing to be conquered, but understood.

No comments:

Post a Comment